The NJ Department of Transportation (NJDOT) will conduct resurfacing and roadway repair on several sections of pavement on Route 35 between South Amboy in Middlesex County and Middletown in Monmouth County, according to a press release.
On the southbound side, the project includes the area south of Route 36 interchange in Keyport to Hazlet Avenue in Hazlet and the area north of Prospect Avenue in Aberdeen to the Matawan Creek bridge at the Keyport/Aberdeen border. On both the southbound and northbound sides, the project will include the area between the Cheesequake Creek bridge and Birchwood Drive/Raritan Avenue in Old Bridge.
NJDOT's contractor, Joseph DeFino Trucking Co., is scheduled to start preliminary construction activities starting this week in Old Bridge and will continue to work southward, the release explained. Preliminary construction activities include site mobilization, joint-cutting and resetting manhole covers.
Mainline milling and paving work is expected to begin this fall. According to the NJDOT, work requiring single-lane closures will be performed during overnight hours to help minimize traffic impacts on Route 35, a highway that is heavily traveled. Access to all businesses and residences along the state highway will be maintained throughout construction, NJDOT said.
The goal of the project is to improve motorist safety and extend the pavement lifespan along the full width of the roadway at each location, including all travel lanes, turn lanes, shoulders and median openings, according to the press release.
The NJDOT explained they also plan to upgrade signage, roadway striping and guide rail as needed. New image detection cameras will be installed at certain intersections to replace the existing, underground loop detectors. According to NJDOT, these cameras are linked to traffic signals and help maximize the capacity of Route 35.
According to the press release, the $3.9 million project was designed by NJDOT engineers. Construction is scheduled for completion in spring 2013, however the precise timing of work is subject to change due to weather and other factors.
Below is a complete list of where NJDOT will mill and repave Route 35:
Route 35 northbound:
- from the vicinity of Ann Court in Hazlet (milepost 42.6) to just north of Prospect Avenue in Aberdeen (milepost 44.48).
- from Birchwood Drive/Raritan Blvd (milepost 45.7) to south of the Cheesequake Creek bridge in Old Bridge (milepost 47).
- from south of Morgan Avenue in Sayreville (milepost 47.4) to the Route 9 merge in South Amboy (milepost 49.35).
Route 35 southbound:
- from the vicinity of Union Avenue/Centerville Road in Holmdel (milepost 40.7) to Cherry Tree Farm Road in Middletown (milepost 39.4)
- from south of the Route 36 interchange in Keyport (milepost 43.3) to Hazlet Avenue in Hazlet (milepost 42.3)
- from north of Prospect Avenue in Aberdeen (milepost 44.48) to the Matawan Creek bridge at the Keyport/Aberdeen border (milepost 44.25).
- from south of the Cheesequake Creek bridge (milepost 47) to Birchwood Drive/Raritan Blvd in Old Bridge (milepost 45.7).