Update: Several Rifles Recovered From Apartment After Man Surrendered to Police

Police found several rifles in a Tree Haven I apartment on Ravine Drive Sunday night after a resident barricaded inside surrendered to police without incident.

Several rifles and a handgun were recovered from an apartment on Ravine Drive in Matawan Sunday night after a man barricaded inside of his Tree Haven I home surrendered to police, according to Lt. Ben Smith.

At about 6:15 p.m., the Matawan Borough Police Department responded to a 9-1-1 call at the Tree Haven I apartment complex. When officers arrived on the scene, they found that a resident of the complex, later identified as James Weirzbicky, was in possession of a gun and had locked himself inside of his apartment, Smith said.

Weirzbicky's wife and a child had already exited the apartment when police arrived and there were no hostages in the apartment, Smith said. 

Police evacuated the area and closed Ravine Drive from the intersection of Matawan Avenue and Middlesex Road while Officer Andrew Marsala made contact with Weirzbicky.

Aberdeen Township Police, Keyport Borough Police, Marlboro Township Police, the Monmouth County Emergency Responce Team (MOCERT), the Monmouth County Sheriff's Office, and the Matawan First Aid & Rescue Squad also responded to the scene to assist the Matawan Borough Police Department.

At about 9:40 p.m., Weirzbicky surrendered to police without incident. He was transported to Monmouth Medical Center, Smith said.

The scene was determined as secure around 10:45 p.m., at which time police began to allow residents into their homes and Ravine Drive was reopened.

Grew up in Matawan December 07, 2012 at 09:09 PM
GOD forbid you should lock your doors and own a gun. I guess that is illegal in Matawan now.
George Dzurina December 12, 2012 at 01:51 AM
When we have superior officers like Lt. Ben Smith and Lt. Gallo in charge we should all be concerned. I have had two personal dealings with Lt. Smith one in which he left me with a concussion and the other in a public area where he threatened to shoot me and had to be restrained by fellow Officer Stark. When it finally came time to go to court in regards to my disorderly conduct it was clear the Prosecutor had no intentions on trying this matter as he refused to subpoenas Lt. Smith. He told my lawyer you will have to come back to court 4-5 times before you get to question either of my police officers. A CLEAR ABUSE of POWER. I find this quite strange that after 9 months of investigation the prosecutor refused to give my attorney and me our day in court. This shows just how tough it is to prosecute a ROGUE COP like Lt. BEN SMITH even his own prosecutor will not allow him to be put on the stand to testify. On a recent interview scheduled with both of the Lt's, Lt. Gallo asked Lt. Smith to leave the tiny office we where meeting stating he knows Lt. Smith cannot control himself at times. It also worth noting that Lt. Gallo has a large cross tattooed on his arm. One might thing that would mean he has some religious tendencies but when he personally views this it would viewed as an upside down cross which is more transparent to me as I have got to know Lt. Gallo and he is anything but a gentlemen and certainly not a Christian man.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »