Hazlet Firemen have responded to countless calls for assistance, from everything to carbon monoxide trouble alerts to securing the scenes around fallen trees to assisting the over-stressed Union Beach Fire Department with supplies for equipment and help battling a structure fire Wednesday.
For days now, shifts of local men have been sleeping in cots, stealing winks between calls. Their food supplies are winding down, but not their spirit of volunteerism.
"We've been working tirelessly -- 48 to 72 hours shifts-- since the beginning of this storm," said Hazlet Fire Company Chief #1 Tim Murray, from the firehouse on Holmdel Road Wednesday afternoon. "I feel the men are doing a great job, giving up time with their own families."
Chief Murray asked residents to be mindful of a few concerns:
- Treat every wire like it is a live one. Do not touch!
- Placing a generator too close to a house can cause CO2 alarms insided to activate.
- Be careful refilling a hot generator that has been running a long time. The exhaust can ignite spilled gasoline.
- Do not leave candles unattended.