Memorial Day is observed in Holmdel several ways. Consider joining in:
Town Hall offices, district schools, municipal court and post office are closed on Monday May 30, Memorial Day. There is no mail delivery. It is a state and federal holiday. The stock market and banks are closed.
Monday, May 30:
- at Memorial Circle at Town Hall, 4 Crawfords Corner Rd. Join the Holmdel V.F.W. Post 5918 and the Office of Parks and Recreation as they honor those who have served in all wars. The ceremony will be held at the Memorial Circle in front of Holmdel Town Hall. Refreshments will be served. The VFW will be collecting old flags and properly disposing of them. Begins at 10:30 a.m.
- A Township Committee meeting will precede the ceremony inside Town Hall at 10 a.m. The meeting was previously scheduled for June 2, but was moved on Friday to May 20 due to scheduling conflicts.
- at the , Exit 116, Garden State Parkway. Colonel Bertrand A. Ges, of Jackson, will serve as this year’s guest speaker. The ceremony will also include the induction of two Vietnam Veterans into the Memorial’s In Memory Program and the presentation of two $2,500 scholarships to New Jersey high school students for their participation the NJVVMF scholarship program. Begins 11:00 a.m.
- . Join the farm staff as they celebrate an old-fashioned Decoration Day at , 62 Longstreet Rd at Holmdel Park. This family holiday originated soon after the Civil War when women decorated the graves of fallen soldiers and is now called Memorial Day. Held at historic Longstreet Farm, Longstreet Road, Holmdel. From noon–3:00pm
- Pause to honor Americans who have died in all wars at 3 p.m. local time. The National Moment of Remembrance was established by Congress. The Moment is an act of national unity for a duration of one minute and it is observed at Major League Baseball games and Nascar events, among many others venues.
Other events in Holmdel this weekend that were held in honor of Memorial Day:
Sat / Sun, May 28, 29: Holmdel's VFW unit will selling the official VFW "Buddy Poppy" created by disabled and needy veterans, to raise money to support them and the charitable activities of the VFW organization. One member will be selling outside the Holmdel's Lowe's and another, at Dearborn Market on Route 35, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Saturday, May 28: located at South Laurel Ave and Beau Ridge Dr, in the Beau Ridge Townhouse Development. American Flags will be placed on the gravesites to honor the three soldiers from the American Revolution, one soldier from the War of 1812, one soldier from the Civil War and the founding family members of Holmdel and Monmouth County. From 10:00 to 10:30 a.m. Parking available.