Fun Winter Activities to Break Your Family's Cabin Fever in Monmouth County
From skiing and ice skating to game nights, here is a list of fun activities to do with your family in Monmouth County.
Most families are exhibiting signs of cabin fever this time of year. The sibling sniping is at record levels, the toddler whining is incessant and tweens and teens are fixated on their electronic devices. Time to cure your family of cabin fever with these ten fun ideas for activities the whole family will enjoy.
1. Get outside and play. Check out Holmdel Park for ski rentals and sledding. Cross-country trails are open at, conditions permitting. Ice skating is permitted at Holmdel Park, Shark River and Turkey Swamp Park if "skating today" signs are up near the ice. The Monmouth County Parks website has rental prices, park hours and more.
2. Family film festival. Celebrate the upcoming Academy Awards with a marathon of your family’s favorite flicks. View movies from your own collection, or rent some from your local library in the Monmouth County Library Branch system.
3. Arts and crafts bash. Get a group of friends together for a “craft bash” at your house with activities for both adults and kids. Ask a friend who loves to knit or draw to share his or her skill at the party. Not crafty? Head to a Krafty Kids Drop-In, run by the Monmouth County Parks System.
4. Serve others. Nothing brings a family out of a cabin fever funk like serving others. Find local volunteer activities where you can volunteer on your own or with your whole family in Hurricane Sandy impacted areas such as Union Beach or Keansburg. In Union Beach, Town Hall has become a hub for volunteers. Staff can point you in the direction of some manual labor in the neighborhoods, organizing food and clothing donations, or helping to keep records for the township.
5. Family game night. Playing board games together can be a great way to bond—and pick up some math or spelling skills. You can find great old school games like Scrabble and Monopoly at Target in Manalapan or The Hobby Shop in Matawan.
6. Take a class together. The Monmouth County Parks System has new classes and activites every month. From an open archery to ceramics. You can find the February schedule right here on Patch.