5 Things to Do Today: August 1
Movies, Music, Books, History, and Pizza!
1. The String Studio of Monmouth County founder and director, violist Kimberly Foster Wallace, will perform with members of the Simon String Quartet and other colleagues in a series of free classical music concerts, starting tonight at 8 p.m. Members of the group will perform works by Luigi Boccherini, the passionate String Sextet from Richard Strauss’ opera “Capriccio, and the Sextet in G Major by Johannes Brahms.
All performances are free and open to the public, and take place in Wilson Auditorium in Wilson Hall on the campus of Monmouth University.
2. Btwixt n' Btween Book Club at the Hazlet Township Public Library, 251 Middle Rd, Hazlet, NJ will host a free forum exclusively for teens to talk about books. Tonight, at 7 pm, the discussion will center on the book Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli. 6th grade and up. Registration is required. Please call or stop by the Reference Desk.
3. Pizza Party - Children's Workshop Series at Dearborn Market, 2170 State Route 35, Holmdel, NJ. Calling all little chefs! Learn about the origins of your favorite food and make your own custom pizza using local and fresh ingredients. Followed by geting to enjoy your creation. The cost is $10 and includes instruction and ingredients for pizza making. Choose from: Session A (10-11am) or Session B (12-1pm). Registration is required and space is limited! Register Online at dearbornmarket.com/store/pizza-party.
4. The Other Side of War: The Civil War on the Home Front Exhibit at 45 Macculloch Ave, Morristown, NJ. The exhibit is featured in the museum’s upstairs gallery through November 11th. Life on the home front was not easy for loved ones left behind. Women played an important role in the Union war effort, and photographs, artifacts, and letters are among the many displays. Museum is open to tour the house and view exhibits on Wednesdays, Thursdays & Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. Adults $8; Seniors & Students $6; Children 6 – 12 $4. Members and children under 5 are free. The last tickets for admission are sold at 3 p.m. School tours, adult/senior tours and rentals may be scheduled by appointment. Call (973) 538-2404 ext. 10, visit our website
5. "True Grit" at the Hazlet Township Public Library, 251 Middle Rd, Hazlet, NJ at 2 p.m. and FREE.
Following the murder of her father by hired hand Tom Chaney, 14-year-old farm girl Mattie Ross sets out to capture the killer. To aid her, she hires the toughest U.S. marshal she can find, Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn. Against his wishes, she joins him in his trek into the Indian Nations in search of Chaney. They are joined by Texas Ranger LaBoeuf, who wants Chaney for his own purposes. The unlikely trio find danger and surprises on the journey, and each has his or her "grit" tested. Starring Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin and Matt Damon. 110 minutes.